“Bipolar and Related Disorders”
Sadock, B. J., Sadock, V. A., & Ruiz, P. (2014). Kaplan & Sadock’s synopsis of psychiatry: Behavioral sciences/clinical psychiatry (11th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer.
Chapter 31, “Child Psychiatry” (pp. 1226–1253)
Stahl, S. M. (2014). Prescriber’s Guide: Stahl’s Essential Psychopharmacology (5th ed.). New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.
Note: All Stahl resources can be accessed through the Walden Library using the link. This link will take you to a login page for the Walden Library. Once you log in to the library, the Stahl website will appear.
Zeanah, C. H., Chesher, T., & Boris, N. W. (2016). Practice parameter for the assessment and treatment of children and adolescents with reactive attachment disorder and disinhibited social engagement disorder. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 55(11), 990–103. Retrieved from http://www.jaacap.com/article/S0890-8567(16)31183-2/pdf
Some debate in the literature exists specific to whether or not bipolar disorder can be diagnosed in childhood. While some have anecdotally argued that it is not possible for children to develop bipolar disorder (as normal features of childhood confound the diagnosis), other sources argue that pediatric bipolar disorder is a fact.
In this Discussion, you engage in a debate as to whether pediatric bipolar disorder is possible to diagnose.
- Evaluate diagnosis of pediatric bipolar depression disorder
- Analyze consequences to diagnosing/failing to diagnose pediatric bipolar depression disorder
To Prepare for the Discussion:
- The instructor will assign you a position for or against the issue of diagnosing pediatric bipolar depression disorder.
- Review the Learning Resources concerning the controversy over the diagnosis of pediatric bipolar depression disorder.
- Write “for” in the subject line of your Discussion post.
- Based on the position you were assigned (FOR), justify whether or not pediatric bipolar depression disorder should be diagnosed.
Support your position with evidence and examples.
Note: In APA Format and proper citation, Support your rationale with a minimum of three academic resources/references no more than five years old. Include introduction and conclusion.
Based on the requested outline, you should first ALWAYS provide some type of introduction based on the presenting issue using research. Ex: According to the American Psychiatric Association (2015), depression has increased by……
Introduction….tell briefly about depression
History of Present Illness/Clinical Impression…..you should always have a mental status exam of the client you are seeing…..at every visit!!!!!!
Psychopharmacologic treatment….What does the research say about treating a client with depression. Ex: Harris 2018, stated the Serotonin Intake inhibitors are the first line treatment for depression due to the targeted neurotransmitters. Although SSRI’s are considered first line treatment for depression, Mr. J was started on Wellbutrin 150mg instead because the preceptor felt that the Wellbutrin would assist Mr J with smoking cessation as well. Harris (2015) stated that Wellbutrin helps to decrease smoking by 50% due to….
Psychotherapy….Research states that Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is the best therapeutic approach with treating patients with Major Depression (Smith, 2019). Cognitive Behav Therapy was discussed with Mr. j and the client is willing to participate in this therapy.
Medical Management…Mr J does not have any medical needs that need to be addressed at this time. However, it is recommended that the client get baseline labs to ensure that there are no medical needs that may be the cause of the depression (Harris, 2016)
Students you should BOLD the headings!!!! The instructor should be able to immediately identify the pertinent information.
Now the RUBRIC…the guide to for a grade!!! The rubric is graded as EXCELLENT, GOOD, FAIR, AND POOR. You choose where you want to be
- Analytical thinking…..comes from research, This should be covered with the introduction
- Purpose Statement….The purpose of this assignment is to discuss a client with depression, treatment options, and appropriate interventions to properly care for Mr. J (This is simple) Can be included at the end of the introduction.
- Key concepts….did you address what the assignment ask you to do
- Are you using the required resources to back up the data
- Is the paper flowing
- Grammar…..GRADUATE STUDENTS…ESPECIALLY THOSE OF YOU WANTING TO OBTAIN A DOCTORATE try to avoid USING HE, SHE, THEY, US, I. You can use the client, the daughter of the patient stated, the team, as a provider; etc. The pronouns take away from the professional/scholarly writing within the paper….In my opinion. See the examples above. However, it’s not against APA standards at this time…it’s now a preference for the avoidance of the pronoun use.