Ashford 6: – Week 5 – Final Paper
The summative assessment for this course is a Final Paper that is due in Week Five. For your Final Paper, you must demonstrate an understanding of a topic in psychology beyond the information presented in the course textbook. Incorporate material from across the course, by describing and applying psychology knowledge as you integrate new research findings, into a cohesive and well-written paper. This learning activity will facilitate the development of research techniques, critical thinking, and writing skills that are necessary to be successful in the field of psychology. You may include personal experiences as examples to explain concepts and inform your audience.
You will have already selected a research topic from the list below in Week Three of the course. You must continue to use your selected topic. The topics include:
- Is corporal punishment needed to discipline children?
To begin, research the chosen topic using scholarly resources and craft a thesis statement regarding your selected topic. For assistance with creating a thesis statement, visit the Ashford Writing Center or the Ashford University Library. Your Final Paper must contain at least five references from scholarly sources that were published within the last five years and are cited according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. Examples of scholarly sources include: peer reviewed journal articles, research studies, professional websites with authored material, and government websites. Popular internet sites (Wikipedia, Newsweek, New York Times, etc.) are not considered scholarly sources.
Then, address the following criteria as you write your Final Paper:
- Include a well-written introduction with a succinct thesis statement and a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
- Integrate research findings that address the selected topic.
- Discuss the key issues and controversies surrounding your selected topic.
- Discuss multiple perspectives on the selected topic, so that the discussion is balanced and not one-sided.
- Include a summary and analysis of the findings from the research.
- Include any additional research that could be done in the future, and provide solutions that could be implemented in the present regarding your selected topic.
- Consider the cognitive and behavioral implications might play a role in your selected topic. What learning principles could factor into the topic? What theories of motivation and personality could influence your insights into the topic?
Writing the Final Paper
The Final Paper:
- Must be eight to ten double-spaced pages in length (excluding title and references pages), and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
- Must end with a conclusion that summarizes your research and reaffirms your thesis.
- Must use at least five scholarly sources.
- Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate reference page, formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.